No matter your personal interior design style, patterned wallpaper is a solid choice among many of us looking to spruce up our homes. It can provide the perfect focal point when used on a feature wall and add personality to a room. Installing pattern repeat wallpaper will take extra planning and precision than plain wallpaper, but don’t worry because I Love Wallpaper are on hand to provide top tips on how to install patterned wallpaper for a perfect finish!
Before you get going with wallpapering, check that you have everything you need to apply wallpaper effectively by checking our blog on how to hang wallpaper and visit our range of wallpaper tools to fill any gaps in your kit.
Did you know that there are several styles of wallpaper patterns, with some being more difficult to match up correctly than others? All types of patterned wallpaper will require careful attention to detail and patience, but some are more tricky than the others to get right!
The three main styles of patterned wallpaper include:
Random pattern match wallpaper – One of the easiest types of wallpaper to hang as you don’t need to worry about matching the pattern up. An example of random pattern match wallpaper is striped wallpaper.
Straight across match wallpaper – This type of wallpaper will start its pattern at the ceiling line, so the pattern will have to match the strips, resulting in slightly more planning when cutting.
Drop match wallpaper – As a more complex design, drop match wallpaper will need to be aligned accurately to show the pattern both horizontally and vertically. There is half-drop match wallpaper and multiple drop match wallpaper which may result in wastage as you try to repeat the pattern perfectly.
· Make sure that all wall surfaces are smooth and primed as any bumps or debris can distort patterned wallpaper
· Allow additional paper when measuring and cutting the paper to allow for pattern matching (this may result in wasted paper, so it’s a good idea to purchase an extra roll, just in case)
· Use a plumb-line to create a line on the wall to ensure a straight application
· Have a complete motif or design print at the top of the panel of a bold wallpaper
· Mark the back of the panels with an arrow in pencil so you don’t accidentally hang the patterned wallpaper upside down
· Start installing bold pattern repeat wallpaper from the middle of the room if you’re wallpapering a complete room, i.e chimney breast
· If you’re a beginner to installing pattern repeat wallpaper, start with simpler patterns with random match wallpaper, or hire a specialist to hang more complex patterned wallpaper
So if you’re looking to switch it up in your home next season and wondering how to install wallpaper or you plan on installing pattern repeat wallpaper, we hope that you find our tips helpful.
Here at Hamyeewallpaper we offer a whole host of stunning patterned wallpaper to choose from, so browse our full range of wallpapers here today.
For more inspiration on wallpapers take a look at ourInstagram.